Sunday 20 July 2008

Bit of a naff week

Typical that there's nothing but summer palp out. I might even have to comment on rubbish stuff anyway as a contender.

Robyn came back from obscurity re-inventing the same old europop sound, now Annie has done the same. Remember Chewing Gum? Well, her new song is called I Know Your Girlfriend Hates Me. I think it's the same song except the hooks have been taken out. Bin it!

Primal Scream are back with a very layered return single. I much preferred their Evil Heat album sound, Riot City Blues was more gritty and now they seem to be shooting for the current indie trends. Shame. Well, anyway - lets put it here anyway.

Primal Scream - Can't Go Back


Right, and now - with sickening bias I throw in Crawley's only band. The Cure. Robert Smith and the gothlads are releasing a new single on the 13th of every month, and this is the 3rd. The sound of this album seems to be heading for the mixed pop mix seen on their last album and their mid-80's efforts. This song as a chorus hook which sounds almost Bond like. Wah guitars and bouncing bass lines and wailing vocals...it's so typically The Cure isn't it...and though it's a sub-par effort from them, it's probably the best release this week in my view. That's bad for the week.

The Cure - Sleep When I'm Dead

No comments: