Sunday 20 December 2009

TOTW51: George Michael – December Song

Well, there’s only two more TOTWs to go this year (including this one).

In the last years I’ve been doing this, by this time I’ve already had a good idea what’s going to be in the running for Tune of the Year. For TOTY2009, I’m not so sure. I might actually to have to think about it after Christmas.

This week isn’t much better. The big news in the music world this week is who’s going to be Christmas #1 later today – A Miley Cyrus cover (who’d have thought we’d be saying that already) or a 17-year old tune? As a long standing loather of any of these ‘talent’ shows, I think it’s a great idea. But I’m not buying either, because Christmas shouldn’t be about either, it should be about a dodgy festive number (see Peter Kay last year, perhaps the best attempt recently). Anyway, I’m not going off on one, when occasional contributor Hazard has already been there.

So, what’s left to be TOTW?

Bubbling Under

Vampire Weekend – Cousins

Slow Club - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Fyfe Dangerfield – She Needs Me

Dionne Bromfield – Ain’t no mountain high enough

No comments: