Sunday 5 July 2009

TOTW27:Florence and the Machine - Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)

Last year I mentioned Florence and the Machine several times on this here blog, but there's been a significant absence recently. Although, to be fair, the last time 'Flo' had a single out was at the tail end of last year. Still, time to put that right.

The long, long awaited debut album (by me at least) "Lungs" is due out tomorrow; and the single to 'launch' it (out a few weeks now, Jun 22nd) Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up) is exactly what I've come to love from the crazy group.

OK, so maybe the opening chords remind me of Depeche Mode (see what the harp does there, you'll see why) - but conflicting harps and angelic vocals with the bellowing "Raise it Up" probably hasn't happened in many years either.

I've seen Florence compared to Kate Bush over the past year and a bit, and I think this song is the most similar we've seen - very illustrious company to be compared to. There is no genre the song really fits in, and it's an amazing hybrid on its own.

Great to see her back, and next time I'm in town I'll be visiting HMV to pick up the album to complete the set.


Bubbling Under:

The Virgins - One week of danger
Animal Collective - Summertime clothes (Can anyone else see a similarity to the Guillemots?)
La Roux - Bulletproof
Paul Carrack - Just 4 Tonite

No comments: