Saturday 17 January 2009

Space Echo

Okay, time for me to contribute an up and coming band.

I'm fairly dissapointed in the BBC Sounds of 2009 list - it's very predictable, and most of the acts are hardly original.

I know I'm going to appreciate White Lies, but to be honest, they're not going to be anything different to Interpol or the Editors or their decades before predecessors (Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Division etc.)

Little Boots, quirky electronica sounds no different to what Client has been doing for years.

So, I throw in a band soon to release their debut album online, SPCECO. Born out of one half of 90's goth tinged shoegazers Curve, this band sound slightly original in a very unoriginal way. That makes no sense I know, but all the ingredients are tried and tested but not in this order.

(By the way, if you don't think you've heard Curve, if you watch Top Gear, you sure as hell do, half their tracks are used for all the car testing clips - their music guy's clearly a wise Curve fan).



And just for a band from last year who have a song that just sounds flipping awesome on the MTV2 playlist - The Airborne Toxic Event and Sometime Around Midnight. Haven't warmed to their other stuff yet, but love this tune.

1 comment:

Asp said...

Airbourne Toxic have been "bubbling under" as a TOTW suggestion for a bit now - they're also on the 6 playlist. I'm not quite sure what it is that has meant they've not been mentioned yet, I think it's because they lack the 'stand out' factor that makes me sit up and listen.

Definitely nice music all the shame.