Sunday 18 January 2009

TOTW3: First Aid Kit - You're not coming home tonight

I know that I have a very varied relationship with Bloc Party. I either like their songs very much, or can't stand them. One month off is in the former category. Maybe it's a bit too samey - it sounds very similar to what we've heard from them many times in the past. But it's dramatic, and still unusual with atonality that you can't hear anywhere else in the charts at the minute. It's out on Feb 2nd.

I have a feeling it was about 12 months ago I last mentioned Steven Patrick Morrissey. I too would be quite happy to throw my arms around France's capital, given how much I loved living there. The song itself hugely complicated - the list of lyrics is particularly short. But, it's definitely classic Moz, and therefore I like it. I'm throwing my arms around Paris is out on Feb 9th.

I don't know if it's just me, but the opening bars of Oh My God (26 Jan) sound like Florence and the Machine. Then the music kicks off in earnest, and you can tell it's Ida Maria. Perhaps, just a little be, it's less imposing than I Like you so much better when you're naked, because that somewhat unique style has already been heard before. But, it has to be expected - because it's the same artist.

TOTW though goes to something totally different

I don't like First Aid Kit because of their name, despite what some people might think. I just think that You're not coming home tonight (9 Feb) is a brilliant song. Maybe not a huge amount to it, but the harmonies are beautiful. The Guardian profiled the band last month, very similar to Fleet Foxes (remember them from just last week?) is many ways - young, but feel like they've been around for ages. I don't think this is going to be the last time I mention them in 2009.

Couple of honourable mentions too this week (had a few days off work, so got to listen to the radio!) - White Lies To Lose my Life, and Franz Ferdinand Ulysses - both mentioned before and both out on the 19th. Not sure what I'll end up doing with Last Chance given both of their forms so far...

No comments: