Friday 29 August 2008

David Byrne & Brian Eno: Everything that happens will happen today

Fresh from downloading Strange Overtones, the 30-years in the making (well, not necessarily making, but definitely waiting) Byrne/Eno collaboration is (just like The Verve's "Forth" was) streaming on their website (and below if you don't feel that clicking away).

So, as I asked last time - has listening to the entire album encouraged me to go and buy a CD of it?

Surprisingly, no. The album is a good listen. But that's really it for me, listen in the singular. There's some tracks I could listen to time and time again - One Fine Day is nice and soothing. But immediately after that you've got Poor Boy - which is clearly meant to be modern, yet to me sounds like two tunes stuck together with a bit of superglue instead of a cleverly mixed piece of work.

I think it's just that there's some tunes that sound right, and fit Byrne's voice perfectly - Home and the country-esque My Big Nurse. There's even a stand out track - Life is Long has a slightly anthemic edge to it.

But there's too many tracks that I don't like, that I can't find a tune in, to make the album a real must have in my eyes - I Feel my stuff is 20th Century classical music in the piano part. Ie - play some notes and someone will think there's something there, but I can't.

It could be a grower, and due to time constraints before my enforced internet absence I've only listened to it in full once. I will listen to it again, and might like it more then. I also think that my review doesn't really paint a true picture - it's definitely a good album. I just wouldn't rush out to buy it after 1 listen, which surely is the mark of an exceptional record, which is probably more what I was expecting from the partnership.

1 comment:

Ty White said...

Greetings! Thanks for embedding the Everything That Happens widget! Unfortunately it looks like it's not quite loading right for you. I think that's a function of the Blogger rich text editor messing with the pasted code. The easy way (though it may sound ridiculous) to remedy is to paste the embed code into a plain text document (think whatever the simplest text editor on your computer is, or just a gmail message window), then copy and paste it from there. Check to make sure the whole code is there, but you should be good to go.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at ty.white at topspinmedia.com
Thanks!
-ty