Wednesday 25 March 2009

Glasvegas: Glasvegas

The opening chords of the debut album from Glasvegas reminded me of the opening chords of "Seldom Seem Kid" - building towards something.

It has taken me a while to get round to talking about this album, almost as long as it took me to buy it - but there was a special offer on at HMV so it was a good chance to build the CD collection.

One reason it's taken me a while to talk about it is because it's taken me a while to listen to it more than once. It was banned from my road trips over to Newcastle on the basis that it was too depressing. And whilst I think that's a wee bit harsh, there is a point. You only need to look at the titles to establish that. It's my own cheating heart that makes me cry, Daddy's gone - it's hardly Take That poptastic is it?

But, they're not all like. Take Go Square Go. It's got a vivid beat, and it's easily danceable unlike many. OK, the lyrics are about bullying, but you can try and ignore this.

Musically, it's a very well put together album. It starts off as one continuous track with no joins - like albums used to be. You know where the difference is. Classic lovers may appreciate the twist of Beethoven's 'Moonlight' Sonata in Stabbed - which is particularly moving.  Ice Cream Van is an almost hypnotic number, with swirling accompaniment. And it does end the album with a hint of hope. Despite the storms - the ice cream van will come one day.

I don't really get those people that look at the album with such depressed tones. Look at it as a whole - things are going bad in the world (especially now). But, there's always that glimmer of hope.

No comments: