Sunday 29 March 2009

TOTW13: Jai Ho (You are my destiny)

I'm not actually putting the artist in this week's TOTW title, because it's fairly long:

A R Rahman & The Pussycat Dolls ft Nicole Scherzinger - Jai Ho! (You are my destiny)

I don't think it actually needs much introduction. It's that song out of off of Slumdog Millionaire, with the Pussycat Dolls adding a bit of Western influence.

What I can't figure out is why I like it. I'm not a fan of Eastern music - some of it is good, but since hearing at Blackburn Mela the Bangra version of Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman I've not given it much credence. Nor, even more understandably, do I like the Pussycat Dolls (for their music at any rate).

What it must be in the match between the two styles of music. It's a bit of a juxtaposition - yet it very clearly works, creating an enthusiastic sound. Effort must have been put in to create the sound just right to match the movie and it's wide ranging appeal, and they've managed it. It's not going to encourage me to diversify my interest - far from it, but as a stand alone track, it's got so much in it's favour, it's very impressive.

No comments: