Sunday 8 March 2009

TOTW10: Doves - Kingdom of Rust

I keep mentioned Dan Black, and I keep repeating my assertions that he's a very talented artist. I don't think there's anything else I can add about Alone (9March) that I've not already said in previous weeks, other than to watch this space :)

Something very very different is Black Hearted Love by P J Harvey & John Parish. The duo last collaborated in 1996, and a new 10-track collection called "A Woman A Man Walked by" is due out at the end of the month, and this is the opening track. Dark and moody matches Polly's vocal style perfectly, and Parish's multi-instrument talents with the brooding guitars just makes it a disturbing, but well written and immaculate track.

Talking about comebacks, it feels like it's been ages since Doves have been about - 2005 in fact. But, here they are with Kingdom of Rust (30March). It's almost classic in its style, orchestral, and emotive. Very promising for the album.

No comments: