Sunday 15 March 2009

TOTW11: Take That - Up all Night

It's been a while since I've mentioned Friendly Fires. Every time they release a song I safely say that I like it, but I never seem to get as far as making it a huge hit. Skeleton Boy is no exception really - it's got a brilliantly memorable chorus, and a catchy beat, but I think overall it just lacks a bit of overall memorability.

I'm really liking the tracks that are appearing from Jools Holland's "Informer" album. I've mentioned the title track with Ruby Turner previously, and I went by with Louise Marshall is similarly brilliant. Very different - reminds me a bit of Peter Gabriel (That'll do), with it's slow and smooth tones. And no honky-tonk either!

Out tomorrow, it's taken me a while to mention Better than this by Keane. From cowbells, to stylophone (created via a keyboard). Catchy, and definitely fun. I know I've said it before, but this continues to prove the point that the "Perfect Symmetry" relaunch of the band is very productive.

I would never ever have thought that Take That could be a TOTW. But Up all Night doesn't sound like Take That. First time I heard it I wondered if Ben's Brother were back. OK, so the chorus sounds a bit like "Just flip out the back, Jack / Make a new Plan, Stan / You don't need to be coy Roy " (50 Ways to lose your lover), but it's catchy. It's a classic 3 minute pop song - I love the melodic changes at "I'm so tired of waiting"; and much as it pains me to say it, it shows that Gary Barlow is a very talent song writer.

PS - This is the first time I've been unable to link to the official video for a song. I normally like linking to the official clip, even if it's no embeddable, to refer to the artist. However, the official video for Up all Night isn't available in the UK, thanks to the much reported PRS / youtube row. It's a shame, and I am considering varying how I link to tracks in the future until it's resolved.

No comments: